My primary focus now is on books, my own and those of other writers needing assistance in developing or honing their manuscript. Mentor; coach; editor; ghostwriter: call it what you will. Whether fiction or nonfiction, I can guide you through the process of getting your work from rough draft to professional product with plenty of support and encouragement along the way.
A former member of the American Society of Journalists & Authors (ASJA) and a current member of the Western Writers of America (WWA) I hold a Master of Arts degree in Education. For many years, I taught independent courses in how to set up a freelance business and market freelance work. Today, what I enjoy most is helping potential writers reach their heartfelt goals.
Onceawriter…always a writer… for you may leave the work. But it never leaves you.
Books by Marie Bartlett with reviews
- Trooper Down: Life & Death on the Highway Patrol, nonfiction, (Algonquin Books, 1991): “Gritty portrait of life in the North Carolina Highway Patrol, an informative read.” – Kirkus Reviews
- Flight for Life, nonfiction, (Pocket Books, NY, 1993): “vivid, compelling testimony”
- Gifts from Shane, nonfiction, (iUniverse, 2002): “Full of delicate, beautiful touches…among the strongest entries in the nonfiction category.” – Writer’s Digest 10th Annual International Book Award Evaluation
- Frontier Nursing Service: America’s First Rural Midwife School, nonfiction, (McFarland, 2009): “…told in human terms as opposed to academic with a comprehensive view…” – Journal of Appalachian studies, Volume 16, Numbers 1 and 2
- Pearl, MD and Pearl, MD: the Way West, (Taylor & Seale, 2013; 2014), historical fiction: “A remarkable work from a first-time novelist, cinematic in scope,” – Tommy Hays, novelist and Director Great Smokies Writing Program. Visit Pearl at her Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pearl-MD/1520573078166936
Ghostwritten Works by Marie Bartlett (nonfiction)
- Contrarian Marketing, Create Space, Amazon, 2005, Nick Mavrick
- Warrior for Freedom, Graftec Communications, Inc., 2014, Ed Pulido
- Scared Straight to Success: the Rusty Lackey Story, Bookmasters, 2014, Rusty Lackey
“Marie Bartlett, my editor, improved the original manuscript by at least 1000 percent.”
– Nick Mavrick, Washington, D.C.
“Thank you for sticking with me and following through. We did it!”
– Major Ed Pulido, Oklahoma City, OK
“You are an amazing lady and a blessing to my family. Thank you for all your hard work.”
– Rusty Lackey, Lexington, NC